The Common Glory, an outdoor symphonic drama, was staged at the Lake Matoaka amphitheater on the campus of the College of William and Mary from 1946 until 1976….
The fireworks show was a dud.
The scene: Williamsburg, 1702.
The occasion: The death of King William III.
The monarch’s passing inspired a tribute that included music, cannonades and a lights show like the colonial capital had never seen. All was well until the master of ceremonies who was supposed to light the fireworks instead ignited a container filled with them….
By Bill Sullivan
What Revolutionary War personality would you like to have dinner with?…
Timson House, one of the earliest structures in Williamsburg, is located on the northwest corner of Prince George and Nassau Streets. It is an example of a modest, one-room house, the type of structure inhabited by most Virginians in the colonial period. Sometime after the middle of the eighteenth century, the one-story west shed was added to the house….
June 17 is the anniversary of the first major military engagement of the American Revolution, the Battle of Bunker Hill. On a clear day in Boston in 1775, British forces made a third and successful attempt to dislodge Patriot militia holding Breed’s Hill.
On Monday afternoon, Riva S. Medina will take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States at a ceremony at Colonial Williamsburg….
June 12 marks the 239th anniversary of the 5th Virginia Convention’s passage of the Declaration of Rights. The document, written by George Mason, was a major influence on the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights. It included many of the essential freedoms Americans celebrate today, including freedom of the press, the right to bear arms and protections against unreasonable searches. …
By Karen Gonzalez
In the 18th century, every day was “Father’s Day.”…
Benjamin Powell was a carpenter who became a contractor, built a couple of Williamsburg landmarks, and enjoyed the company and counsel of some of 18th-century Williamsburg’s leading gentlemen. He acquired his property at the east end of the city in 1763 and for nearly 20 years pursued from there the career of an “undertaker” – as contractors were called in those days….